Thursday, March 8, 2012

Some days are like that


Yes, yesterday was one of those days. No reason to believe that it would be different from any others.
Until the witching hour of midnight anyway...when a fever took hold of the littlest one...making this mama believe that her little girls' heart would burst from her chest in millions of tiny little girl pieces. This mama who doesn't take trips to the hospital lightly. Or trips to anywhere that traditional medicine lives for that matter.
But my mama bear instincts were telling that this time a trip was not only necessary, but urgent.
So we went. And we waited. And we listened to the crying and reprimanding of others who waited too. With fear in our hearts and lack of sleep clouding our ability to see clearly.
Then the verdict - pneumonia was the culprit. Antibiotics the remedy. Big big doses into a little girl. Even when all symptoms are gone.
And a reminder reminded. That we are lucky to have this available to us. That doctors and nurses do their job well...and sometimes for days on end without break. Helping those who need it - sometimes without thank you.
So, thank you.
And now we sleep. And rebuild with probiotics.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my what an ordeal for you all. I wish you all esp H a fast recovery. You are such a nuturing mama that H will be strong again in no time.

    Take care,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy.
      Have I mentioned recently that I wish you didn't live on the other side of the country??

      Delete
  2. I've been there, not often, but enough to know that we are indeed blessed. Our littlest one needed heart surgery at 3.5 months, and I think so often of the mothers who have lost their children either because their children were born at the wrong time in history, or the wrong place...I am so very grateful that, although I don't want to think I rely on allopathic medicine, that it's an option if ever we need it. Wise mama, you, for listening to your intuition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! It was good for me to have that reminder for sure...while I always think I know it, it is good to actually really KNOW it.

      Delete
  3. Stephanie has said it all in her comment above. Yes, indeed wise mama to trust instinct and thank goodness for modern medicine at times like these. We've had our own bouts with pneumonia in our house (my older son twice and my husband just this past fall.) It can be scary... I'm glad to know your daughter is healthy, safe and on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This manifestation of what seemed like a run-of-the-mill cold really caught me off guard.
      Thanks for your kind words Margaret.

      Delete
  4. Scary, I too went through this over Christmas. A simple cold transformed into pneumonia, but in myself. I too was glad for the rarely used by us modern medicine. I hope health returns quickly to your little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your well wishes. Kids usually bounce back fast - I am kind of banking on that. The weather is so beautiful...it is hard to watch from indoors.
      Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  5. Hey Karen,
    so sorry to hear she has been sick...and you had to be dragon mum; into the hospital and braving everything that happens there. oooh I know how mixed that can be! There should be medals for this stuff.
    Take care, Eloise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eloise.
      Thanks! Hospital waiting rooms are best suffered through in the middle of the night when ones senses are dulled.
      HOpe to see you at knitting on Sunday!

      Delete
  6. Oh goodness! I so know your fear and worry as I went through something very similar with my oldest when he was one. It is the most heart wrenching moment because you feel so helpless! I hope she is recovering quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your well wishes Melissa.
      It makes me wonder how mama's would have handled this kind of infection in times gone by!
      Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete