Sunday, April 10, 2011

Democracy


I came to a realization this weekend. It involves voting and the necessity of exercising this right. It's not that I don't vote, just that I never really and truly have known how to choose who to vote for. I have definite leanings...I know what I like and what I don't like, but my view on the process and eventual end result was always somewhat jaded. The candidates seem to say one thing to get elected and proceed to sometimes do the polar opposite once in office. Add to this all the talk of strategic voting and I wasn't sure what the point was.
What I realized this weekend is that voting should always reflect how you want the world to be. It seems so simple as I write this now...it only took me 21 years to figure it out. I have sometimes voted Green, and others NDP (thanks to the whole "strategic" voting mentality). This time my wholeheart is voting Green...not because I believe they will never get in and therefore will never have a chance to go back on their promises...but because I believe in it....I want this world to be better and greener.
I am ready for a lawnsign now.

No comments:

Post a Comment