Thursday, July 29, 2010

Road tests and trips


Point 1 - My first born turned 16 this evening. My tiny 6 pounder has grown up into an independent, intelligent and confident young woman. Yikes! I remember her birth as clear as if it was yesterday. I was quite a young mama by todays standards. A mere 22 years old. None of my friends were having babies and yet, I have never been more sure about anything in my life...that I wanted to be a mama. Midwives back then (ha, listen to me the wise old woman) were working under way more constraints than they do today; they certainly weren't so accessible. I knew I wanted no drugs to dull the experience - which may be why I remember it so well.
Point 2 - As I knew she would, first thing this morning she went and took her "written" test to get her driver's license, and passed. Yikes again! Nothing brings the point closer to home than that.
Point 3 - Happy Birthday my girl. You challenge me in ways that I never would have imagined....and despite the fact that it may appear otherwise, I respect that. You will do amazing things with your life and I love you with all my being.



Now, on to road trips. Our family of 5 are cramming ourselves and our stuff into our car and heading out on a 10.5 hour car ride with our final destination being Sault Ste. Marie. We will spend a week visiting family that we haven't seen in two years. Some of our time will be spent in town, and some at the family cottage on Lake Superior. I am reserving a small corner of the trunk for rocks and driftwood! I will be absent from this blog for a week. I am sure that when I return I will spend much time catching up with everyone, and many pics of finished knitting projects. 10.5 hours each way is a whole lot of knitting time! Although, I am sure that some of it will get used up keeping the peace.
Have a great week.
Karen

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha i love hazel's face in that picture! :) cute. hopefully the car ride won't be too bad.. ahh. looking forward to it though.
    see you tomorrow!!
    xxoxoxox your middle child (:

    ReplyDelete