Tuesday, February 1, 2011
So I find myself on the cutting edge of technology....from about 5 years ago. I have become the proud owner of a second-hand iPod thanks to my biggest girl. She kindly donated the archaic piece to help me on my quest for something or other. The conversation went something like this:
mom: Abbey, since you don't use it and you listen to music on your phone, how about selling your iPod to your kind and devoted mom.
Abbey: Sure, you can have it for $50.
mom: Okay, sounds great. Oh wait, except how do you put a price on all the years of cooking and doing laundry...blablabla.
So, I got an iTunes gift card for Christmas and began loading her up. Want to know what I chose? Well, I will tell you.
1. Metallica's version of "Whiskey in the Jar"- don't judge me.
2. Spirit of the West singing their hearts out on "Home for a Rest"....it reminds me of my university days
3. Canadian songmaster Gordon Lightfoot singing "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" - tells a haunting story
4. Patrick Watson singing "Big Bird in a Small Cage" - a gentle kind of tune.
5. the classic by Pretenders "Back on the Chaingang" - you must understand this choice!
and last but not least "Fireworks" by the Tragically Hip - I find it funny when singers throw swear words into songs all sneaky like.
I loved the fact that I could buy songs and not entire records. I am not kicking it oldschool anymore. Look out 21st Century.
Anyone care to add some more musical suggestions for me?